Friday, December 19, 2008

Thirty years later and looking forward to eternity.


Thirty years ago today, Lyle picked me up very early in the morning and we drove together to the temple. It was still dark and the first flakes of snow were just beginning to fall as Lyle's car made its way north on State Street. On that day we had a very heavy snowfall - one very much like the snow fall that we had today.
Sometimes it is hard to believe that thirty years really have passed - thirty years, five babies, schooling, church callings, vacations, date nights, camping trips,... all of the stuff life is made up of - all of the good times, all of the hard, growing times - all just memories now.
As we were approaching our 25th year together Lyle was diagnosed with a deadly cancer. I was angry. I remember saying, "You can't die! I didn't sign on for just the 25 year plan!" He looked at me and shook his head then wisely said, "No, you signed on for a lot longer than that. You signed on for eternity."
That pivotal decision, that decision to marry the right person in the temple of our God was probably the most important decision that I ever made. Knowing that ours can be an eternal union gives me the hope that I need to just keep on keeping on.
LYLE, I STILL LOVE YOU. THERE ISN'T A DAY THAT I DON'T THINK ABOUT BEING WITH YOU AGAIN.

2 comments:

Vero said...

Grandma,
I love you and i like you dress. your eyes look the same but your doesnt look the same. I liked it when you took me to the zoo because i like elephants too.

Love, Belen

(This is what Belen wanted to tell you)

BrasilUrie said...

Thanks for that wonderful post!
Love,
Scott